Which NYC Airport Should You Choose
New York City airports are one of the busiest airports in the world, handling over 80 million passengers a year. They are also one of the most important airports for international travel, with over 125 airlines connecting to over 350 destinations. If you're not familiar with NYC airports, figuring out which one to choose can be tricky. This guide will help you decide which airport is best for you.
New York City is a world-renowned business hub, and many people fly in to try and make it. Let's take a look at what airport you should land at. Here are the different Manhattan New York airports, and how they stack up against each other.
How to Choose the Right NYC Airport
Which New York Airports Should You Consider?
There are three major airports in the New York City area: JFK, LaGuardia, and Newark.
If you're looking for the best New York airport experience, these are the three that you want to land at.
For each NYC airport, I will review the things that make it great for travelers. Also, a few things that you may want to consider before choosing the airport that's best for you.
If you're looking for a NYC airport that's close to the city, JFK or LaGuardia are your best bet. Located in Queens, JFK is just a short drive or taxi ride away from Manhattan.
LaGuardia Airport (LGA), also located in northern Queens, is another popular option, especially if you're looking for a budget-friendly airport.
Each NYC airport has its own unique characteristics, so it's important to choose the right airport for your needs. JFK is the largest airport in the area, and it offers many international flights. LaGuardia is the closest airport to Manhattan, while Newark is the airport with the best connections to the New York City area.
I recommend Newark Airport if you need to travel from the New York Tri-State area and need affordable transportation options.
7 Tips for Navigating the NYC Airports
If you're traveling through one of the NYC airports, there are a few things you can do to make the process easier. Be sure to follow these tips for a smooth experience.
- First, be sure to check the airport's website for a map of the facility. This will help you navigate the airport and find your way to your gate
- Next, arrive early to give yourself plenty of time to get through security. This is especially important if you are flying JFK or LaGuardia airports, which can be a lengthy process
- If you're traveling with children, I recommend trying to get them something fun to do at the airport. A museum, a few toys, or even just a cookie or two can make the wait a little more bearable
- Be prepared for long lines and crowded terminals. Don't forget your carry-on backpack is a must if you're flying airports near NYC
- TSA agents may inspect every single bag and may take your bag for extra screening at random. This is more frequent for international travelers, who are often required to check larger items
- If you're departing from any of the NYC airports, check their websites for updates on traffic and weather conditions, which can often cause delays
- And finally, be sure to familiarize yourself with the NYC airports layout before you arrive and what to expect
How to get from Newark Airport to NYC
There are a few different ways to get from Newark Airport to NYC. You can take a taxi, a bus, or a train.
One of the best ways to get from Newark Airport to NYC is by taking the Newark Liberty Airport Express train. The train departs from the airport every 15 minutes and arrives at NYC's Penn Station in about 28 minutes.
I recommend using Uber or Lyft to get to Manhattan. You can request these in advance when you book your trip or just let them know where you're headed while you are still in the Airports near NYC.
What's the Best Travel Backpack for NYC?
The airports in NYC are huge so whether you’re taking the bus, subway, or one of the rideshare services — you’ll need to take a spacious, lightweight, comfortable travel backpack with you while you roam around town.
That way, you don’t need to be rolling around NYC airports with a huge Samsonite suitcase everywhere you go. The worst thing would be waiting at baggage claim amongst hundreds or thousands of people — especially if it’s your first time in the city.
The best carry-on backpack for traveling is the Sunny 16 Voyager camera and travel backpack.